CWWM Emergency Dental Service
Local dental providers offer NHS Urgent Dental Clinics in the area, with urgent appointments for patients who need urgent treatment, advice and support on dental queries or referral to other services.
What happens between 10 pm and 8 am?
Patients can still call NHS 111 for urgent dental advice. If patients do call NHS 111 with a dental issue between 8 am and 10 pm they will automatically be redirected to the dental service.
Aim of the service
- Provide advice for urgent dental issues for patients who do not have a dentist or need advice outside their regular dental practices hours.
- Book emergency appointments for patients requiring urgent treatment.
- Help patients manage their own dental problem where appropriate
- Respond to calls quickly, offering same day advice and treatment where possible
- Provide holistic assessment of the patient using all available resources.
- Where treatment is required, help locate appointments within the local area
During the ‘in-hours’ period (08:00-18:00 hours Monday to Friday), if you already have a dentist you should contact them directly. If you do not have a regular dentist then the Dental Helpline will triage your call, give advice and guidance to manage your dental problem or assist you to find an appointment, as long as you meet all the eligibility criteria. During the ‘out of hours’ period (18:00-22:00 Monday to Friday, Weekends and Bank Holidays 08:00-22:00) our call handlers and dental nurses can provide advice and support for all patients, whether they have a regular dentist or not.
The service is provided according to strict clinical criteria. The service is only available for urgent dental problems such as trauma, facial swelling, uncontrolled bleeding or pain that is persistent and is not being controlled by pain relief.
0161 476 9651